Saturday 11 August 2012

Summer haul

The summer holiday is soon over, and any holiday is book buying time (especially when in England, since the books are cheaper there). This time, I think that maybe I bought a bit too many books (the plan was one). But I love buying books! So here they are, the books and DVDs (as well as some old second-hand comic magasines) I have bought this summer.


Wow...that is a lot of stuff (full list below). No more books before Christmas! Except the already preordered ones and schoolbooks, of course... And preferably no more DVDs either, excepting new releases, like the Hunger Games, of course.

And how many of these books have I read? Only three: Dawn of the Bunny Suicides, Fahrenheit 451 (for the nerdfighter book club), and Wonderstruck. I LOVED Wonderstruck, it was fantastic. Just wonderful and beautiful. If you haven't read it yet, read it, and soon (it doesn't take long to read, since half the pages are drawings)!

This summer, I have also been listening to Harry Potter audio books, read by Stephen Fry. He is a very good audio book reader (is that what you call it?), and I am enjoying it. As I have scrolled through the chapters on my iPod, I am starting to appreciate J.K. Rowling's skill in naming chapters. Usually, when I read, I don't really read the chapter title (sorry, writers). So being aware of the chapter title is a new experience. I am also, as I listen to the audio book, picking up little rhymes and alliteration that I don't catch when I'm reading. This adds even more fun to the reading experience for me.

I hope to be blogging more often this autumn (than this summer - it won't take much), but I can't guarantee anything, since I am not going to force myself to write (unless you readers (if you are out there) demand it).



I love lists, so here is a list of all the stuff in the picture:

Book on top:
    Dawn of the Bunny Suicides - Andy Riley
Standing, from left to right:
  DVDs:
    Night at the Museum
    Slumdog Millionaire
    Pixar Short Film Collection volume 1
    Wall-e
    Tangled
    Stardust
    Love actually
    Emma
    Hugo
    Footloose
    Finding Nemo
  Books:
    Miles, Mutants and Microbes - Lois McMaster Bujold
    Masterharper of Pern - Anne McCaffrey
    Acorna - Anne McCaffrey and Margaret Ball
    Acorna's Quest - Anne McCaffrey and Margaret Ball
    Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
    Let it Snow - John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle
    I Capture the Castle - Dodie Smith
    The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde
    The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
    The Second Book of General Ignorance - John Lloyd and John Mitchinson
    Doctor Who: Dead of Winter - James Goss
    Ohrid - Tor Obrestad (poems)
    Wonderstruck - Brian Selznick
    On Dragonwings - Anne McCaffrey
    Daytripper - Fábio Moon
Lying on the floor:
    One Calvin and Hobbes magasine, and nine old Donald Duck magasines, all in Norwegian. I don't know if there even exists Donald Duck comic magasines outside Scandinavia...you are definitely missing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment