Thursday 23 February 2012

Book survey!

Kayley took this survey from her friend, then Bryarly took it from Kayley, and now I have taken it from her. How could I pass up this great opportunity to talk about books?

The books I have checked out of the library
at the moment and the books I am reading.
1. Favorite childhood book?
Jim Button and Luke the Engine Driver by Michael Ende, the Swallows and Amazons series by Arthur Ransome and the Elizabeth Gail series by Hilda Stahl.

2. What are you reading right now?
Les Misérables by Victor Hugo and Poems from the Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

3. What books do you have on request at the library?
None, I collected the last one I had on request yesterday. It was Harry, A History by Melissa Anelli.

4. Bad book habit?
I can't get rid of books, they're like my friends...I don't know if this is good or bad. Also, I buy books I could have borrowed from the library, making for stuffed shelves more often. In addition (these keep cropping up) I have a habit of jumping forward in my books, only to go back and read it all again. Sometimes I end up having read a book one and a half time by the time I'm finished...

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
Poems from the Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien, Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, Harry, A History by Melissa Anelli, The Complete Poems by Walt Whitman, and Favourite Verse edited by Christopher Hurford. I am trying to find my favourite poet, because I don't know where to start or which book(s) to buy. I would like there to be more poetry on my shelves.

6. Do you have an e-reader?
No, and I don't want one.

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
I prefer to read one at a time, but if the book is long, I'll usually split it up and read books in between parts or volumes. I can cope fine with several at once, but I don't prefer it.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
Yes, but the decision to start a blog was coupled with the decision to read more. More specifically, to read 50 books in a year, which I managed!

9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)
Preludes and Nocturnes (Sandman 1) by Neil Gaiman.

10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
I can't decide between Three Shadows by Cyril Pedrosa, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, and Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey. One of those, they are all excellent and amazing books.

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
I am still kind of finding my comfort zone, but I have sort of settled, so I read outside my comfort zone maybe once a month or every two months.

12. What is your reading comfort zone?
Fantasy, children's books and dystopians are what I read the most, I think. As I said, I am still kind of searching for my comfort zone. So for now, it is quite broad.

13. Can you read on the bus?
Yes. I don't get car sick (in a bus, anyway). I actually do a lot of my pleasure reading on the bus to and from University.

14. Favorite place to read?
In bed, when I have made my "reading corner" with pillows, duvet and blankets piled up in one corner.

15. What is your policy on book lending?
I lend books to anyone who asks (usually friends), but I ask them to take good care of my books. For example I don't like broken spines and dog-eared books.

16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
No. Well, some times in books I don't care about. But usually not in my books for pleasure reading.

17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
No.

18. Not even with text books?
Okay, yes, I do. But they don't count!

19. What is your favorite language to read in?
English, I think. I prefer to read books in the language they were published, if I can read it. If I can't read the original, it's kind of random whether I choose the Norwegian or English version.

20. What makes you love a book?
Memorable characters and saying something profound about life or humanity. Sometimes just the deliciousness of the book - how much I loved reading it. Puns and humour also helps - a lot.

21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
If I liked or loved it, and think other people will like it. I will selectively recommend according to what I know people like to read. Sometimes, I just want the whole world to have the amazing experience I had when reading that book.

22. Favorite genre?
Fantasy, I think.

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
Biographies, I think. I tend to go for the books that enable me to escape from the real world, but the real world can be interesting, too.

24. Favorite biography?
The one about Helen Keller - for children. I haven't read many biographies since I read those biographies for children.

25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
I don't think so.

26. Favorite cookbook?
My homemade one. I don't own many cookbooks. (I think I own one that is not homemade.)

27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
Inspirational...inspiring what? Thought? Awe? Action? Maybe The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Yes, I think so.

28. Favorite reading snack?
Doritos, chocolate (Melkedrøm bringebær - a chocolate we have in Norway), or licorice with salmiak, another Norwegian snack (I know it sounds weird, but I love it).

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
Reading John Green's first four novels - Looking for Alaska, An Abundance of Katherines, Paper Towns, and Will Grayson, Will Grayson. The hype made me expect great things, but I realised that I couldn't relate very well to his characters.

30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
I usually don't read reviews done by professionals. I guess I often agree when I do.

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I often try to not be too explicit about it, or I just don't review the books I don't like.

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you choose?
Spanish, maybe. Or French. Those languages are so beautiful!

33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien.

34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
Wuthering Heights, I think. But mostly because of what I've heard about the mood of that book.

35. Favorite Poet?
As I said, I am trying to find out. I really liked some of the poems in The Fault in Our Stars, and I want to find a poet I really like so that I can buy a collection of poems or something like that to have more poetry on my shelves.

36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
I don't often go to the library, I have a tendency to buy all the books I want to read (bad, bad habit). But this year I have decided to read some classics, and I have discovered that my local library has more of the books I like to read than I thought, so I am becoming better at going there and borrowing books. I usually borrow about 3 to 5 books at once - as many as I can comfortably carry or as many as I think I can read in one month.

37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?
I do it sometimes - especially if I know I want to read the book later or I am going to buy the book. I prefer reading the copy I own.

38. Favorite fictional character?
Jane from Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde, Elisabeth from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, Hermione from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, and Hadassah from the Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers. Favourite couples: Jane and Mr. Rochester in Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, and Angel and Michael in Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers.

39. Favorite fictional villain?
Bellatrix Lestrange and Dolores Umbridge (from Harry Potter, of course) - they're very interesting characters. I am also quite intrigued by Javert in Les Misérables.

40. Books you’re most likely to bring on vacation?
The next big or heavy books I plan on reading which I have heard good things about. These would usually be classics, fantasy or dystopians. I try reading new books for the time being - so many books to read, so little time to re-read!

41. The longest you’ve gone without reading.
Probably a couple of months - without reading novels, that is.

42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory - too many intrigues.

43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
Nothing much. I almost forget to get off the bus sometimes. But right now, when I am reading Les Misérables, I can't listen to music while reading.

44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
The Lord of the Rings, probably. The BBC series for Pride and Prejudice is also pretty awesome.

45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
I don't know. Maybe Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
A lot of money...maybe two or three thousand crowns (the Norwegian currency), which is around 225 to 340 GBP or 350 - 530 USD.

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
Quite often. I also sometimes skim books while reading them if the tension is high or it's an exciting, fast-paced book.

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
If I get stuck and I don't want to read it anymore.

49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
Yes. Now, they're organised by colour if they're not in a series, in which case they are sorted by series.

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
I keep them, usually. I prefer it that way.

51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
Pure romance books, and especially Christian fiction romance books - they are too predictable.

52. Name a book that made you angry.
I rarely get angry generally, so I can't remember getting angry over a book. I might have gotten angry over The Time Traveller's Wife.

53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
Hmm...I think I was kind of surprised at how much I liked The Lord of the Rings - I had read very little classic fantasy before that.

54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
I expected to like John Green's early books much more than I did. I was kind of disappointed. I also thought I would like The Princess Diaries since I enjoyed the film, but I didn't like it much at all.

55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers - one of my all-time favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment